An Easy Fix

Hoping everyone had a remarkable and wonderful and warm Thanksgiving feast! We had a nice small family gathering, and, though we opted out of the usual coma-inducing football-watching orgy that usually seems to demarcate this day of the year, I dare say everybody was well fed and had a good time.

As the family grows smaller and more distant, the need to haul a giant bird from the grocery store, cook it for 8 hours, and then stuff oneself silly becomes less and less compelling. In terms of cuisine, we opted for a nice pork loin, homebaked bread, and some traditional Thanksgiving, fall-inspired recipes such as cranberry sauce and squash mash.

But this blog is not about food nor holidays, but about quilting. So, on to my quilting theme which is, how to easily fix something that is not the right size.

In my ongoing commitment to produce quilts to be given for charity purposes, I always come up with quick and easy ways to produce quilts that will manage to be attractive as well as simple to make.

My common strategy is to make quilts using fabric I already own, or to buy or find a larger piece of fabric with a pre-designed quilt pattern on it, then simply sew it up with backing, add a pleasing back, do some simple quilting on it, and presto.

Charity quilts usually are pretty free-form, with no predetermined size requirements, as one never knows who the recipient of the quilt will be, unless one is making a baby quilt; but on this instance, I was making a quilt in answer to a card I picked up at my church’s Giving Tree, which was a request for a full-sized quilt. Once I determined the fabric I would use for the quilt, and calculating that I had just enough to complete it in the size desired, I realized, after I had completed the project, that I was short!

This stumped me for a while, until I realized I could make it look fully actualized and very attractive just by adding a border on each side.

So I found a piece of fabric that would complement the work already done, and added the two quilted borders at each side. Since I had already finished the edges–I used the pillow-casing method, where one sews the edges right sides together, with the batting on the outside, leaving an opening on one side to turn the quilt inside out (in this case outside out), and closing up the gap and sewing a line about a half inch along the edge so as to mimic binding–I added the borders as if it were a very large piece of binding. Thus I had a quilt according to specifications.

Looking at this quilt, nobody would know that this was a rapid fix for a problem quilt! It looks planned.

A nice flannel back finished the quilt off nicely.

In any event, I hope all had plenty of reason to give thanks on this Thanksgiving!

from Blogger http://ift.tt/21mkKBE
via IFTTT

Thank you for commenting!